Monday, November 7, 2016

Reading Notes: Part D of Shedlock's Eastern Stories and Legends

Book cover
(source: snapdeal)

The Crow that Thought it Knew was so sad. After reading this story, I was surprised that this was the ending that it decided to take. I appreciated the kindness in the warning of the crow to not dive into the water. I'm shocked that the crow decided against this advice!

The Judas Tree was sort of a weird story. I am not very aware of the lesson it was trying to convey. I understand the children were foolish in assuming they were all right about the status of the tree without thinking the incorporate that that all viewed the trees at different stages in its life. I'm just not sure of the message of the story.

The River Fish and Money was also somewhat confusing. The brother was a thief and not a very good person. There was a generous donation to the fish and this had its reward. I was just confused why the spirit warned him to keep it and he gave it to his brother anyway.

The Dreamer in the Wood had no message I'm almost sure. I don't think there was anything. It seemed that Buddha cared more about the animals being safe than there being no bad characteristics of man. I'm not sure, but maybe that was the closest thing to a message.

The Wise Physican had a fantastic message. It was easily my favorite of the reading. Basically, this woman wanted a cure from her dead child. Buddha told her to find an herb from a household with no death. She couldn't find one to show her that natural is natural and abundant.

---

Bibliography: Shedlock's Eastern Stories and Legends
Link to these stories

No comments:

Post a Comment