Monday, November 14, 2016

Reading Notes: Part A of Inayat's Twenty Jataka Tales

Book cover
(source: good reads)

I really enjoy the complete setup that has come with this portion of Jataka Tales. I almost prefer to read them out of the digital book because it provides somewhat of a connection between the stories and I. I think I've gotten more out of the stories when they are presented in this fashion.

The guilty dogs has an extremely scary message. I do not know if this was the intention, but I felt something very uncomfortable while reading it. When the king did not know which dogs to blame, he decided that they should all be killed. This seems somewhat familiar in our international world.

The tortoise and the geese is a story that I've read before, but I think it's somewhat important to write about it again. It seems like this is a representation that our words can be extremely deadly. Literally. The words in this story caused the tortoise to meet his death. We should be careful when we speak.

The golden feathers is another story that I have read with another name. I have also designed a story after this. Like the previous, I think it is important to write about more. It seems that this is basically a warning that there is no need to take advantage of a situation when one is being comfortably fed.

The empty lake was a wonderful story. I saw this as a story of leadership and outspoken fights. The king would not allow his home to be taken from his people, so he called for the forces of nature so bless upon him water. The queen promised that the lake would never parish again.

---

Bibliography: Inayat's Twenty Jataka Tales
Link to these stories

No comments:

Post a Comment