Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Reading Notes: Part C of Shedlock's Eastern Stories and Legends

Eastern Stories and Legends cover
(source: internetarchive)

The Hawk and the Osprey story was also a variation of another Jataka tale that I've read. I think the most important thing to take from this tale is to take value from friendships. It's important to have these as the strength of friendship definitely has its benefits in everyday life.

The Elephant that Spared Life was also a good tale. I laughed a little at the line that said "And the King, without inquiring what they had done, gave orders to have them all trampled to death by elephants!" just because it seems somewhat extreme. I was happy to see that the elephant decided to not trample the villagers just because it showed he was good as character.

How the Antelope was Caught was somewhat sad. The antelope was just trying to enjoy a new taste for food and suddenly gets trapped in a palace that is much different from that of the forest. It is filled with men that has a scary sense for the antelope. I'm thankful it was let back into the wild.

The Man who Told a Lie was also an interesting story. I understand why the man decided to feel inclined to tell tales of false identity, but it was definitely a foolish choice. I also think that he deserved to be humiliated in front of his peers simply to have some sort of consequence.

The Pupil who Taught his Teacher was a great tale. I think the title is somewhat misleading simply because it was ultimately a test by the teacher to see if his pupil could teach him. I think that is the case, there is always the possibility that I read this story was some confusion.

---

Bibliography: Shedlock's Eastern Stories and Legends
Link to these stories

No comments:

Post a Comment